In the same way MS Word and other word processors use middots for spaces, pilcrows for paragraphs and the little right arrows for tabs, is there a typographic mark to represent the concept of a page break?

Some prior research on my part:

Unicode has "U+240C Symbol For Form Feed" in "Control Pictures", which is the initials of the words Form Feed (␌). In MS-DOS codepage 437, the control code for form feed is the female sign (♀). However, neither of these symbols represent the concept of a page break.


1 Answer 1


Form Feed is technically a page break. It's an instruction to the printer to eject the current page, and begin printing the next page. There is a printable Unicode symbol which could be used for a Form Feed: U+21A1 ↡ which is a vertical line with two downward facing arrow heads. This character doesn't perform a Form Feed, though.

If you are looking for something a bit more obvious/graphical to represent a page break, there are icons such as those shown on the Noun Project.

Some examples from the Noun Project (at the link above)

enter image description here

Note: I have no affiliation with the Noun Project. There are other similar icon sites such as FlatIcon, Icons8, etc.

  • Thanks, U+21A1 was what I was after. Dec 24, 2023 at 10:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.