enter image description hereI want to be able to have a space between the words and the image. Like a transparent outline. How do I do this?

  • Hi. Can you show an example of what you are trying to achieve, or even what you have tried so far, even if it was a failure? We expect a little more effort in questions here. Thanks.
    – Billy Kerr
    Jan 7 at 18:01

1 Answer 1


enter image description here

Above there's a sample photo in the bottom layer and the top layer is text. It's simple to get this:

enter image description here

As you see the empty background checkerboard can be seen between the text and the image.

Select the text. Click the text icon in the Layers panel by holding the Ctrl key to make the selection.

Enlarge the selection few pixels by applying Select > Modify > Expand 5 px (five is used in the example)

Select the photo layer in the Layers panel and press DEL. This makes the selected area permanently transparent.

If you want to use something finer which doesn't delete anything permanently you need something more complicated. It's easiest to keep a spare copy of the photo layer. Only disable it in the layers panel to keep it in safe and invisible.

I must admit the question is not 100% clear. You want a transparent zone between the text and the photo. But there must be something in the hole. Such thing as transparent emptiness doesn't exist as a visual possibility. Now there's Photoshop's default checkerboard. I guess you do not want it nor black, white nor any other color.

After deciding your replacement for the transparent emptiness insert it to a new bottom layer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.