Is there a term to refer to the type design, lettering, calligraphy, and other related types of art/design?

  • 4
    Wouldn't Lettering and Calligraphy fall under Typography?
    – AndrewH
    Feb 7 at 14:10
  • "type design" would as well.
    – Scott
    Feb 7 at 18:46

1 Answer 1


The word you're looking for is typography.

Typography encompasses everything you've listed - lettering, calligraphy, unique design of glyphs within a typeface, or merely how type is used in a layout/design.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.