I've lately found some of the following designs and really like the esthetic of them. Sadly I can't find more inspiration of those to allow me to create me own design. I would describe the design in question like this:

  • mostly monochrome black/white or muted colors
  • "epaper" design
  • thin lines
  • retro futuristic

The design in question can be seen in the following examples:

Do you know how this esthetic is called or where I can find more?

  • 2
    Hi. Welcome to GDSE. Not everything has a specific name. You can just use words to describe it.
    – Billy Kerr
    Feb 14 at 15:45

2 Answers 2


While it is true that not every style has a name, those (especially the Dune one) are probably best classified as Vector Graphic. While this term has mostly been taken over by the meaning vector format/storage it was originally used as a term to describe CRT graphic displays which did not use the traditional scanline/raster.

try searching "vector graphic game" (battlezone, star wars, tempest) and/or "vector monitor"


"Monochrome" + "thin lines" might be pretty similar to blueprints and technical drawings. Neither is exactly "art," but rather both are highly-disciplined visual communication systems. The "disciplined" part makes them easy to riff on aesthetically.

"Retro futuristic" + "thin lines" remind me of Star Trek TNG computer graphics. Those were created from scratch for the show and were pretty original at the time. I don’t see many riffs on the aesthetic, but the show’s screen designers put a surprising amount of thought into it, and it’s generally easy to find Trek-inspired stuff.

The James Webb project you referenced has some strong Brutalist elements: the monospaced font with exaggerated ink traps, the minimalistic color palette (by which I mean few, rather than muted), and explicitly outlined borders. I would call the rounded corners more Humanist than Brutalist, but they also fit quite comfortably in the "retro" category.

"Monochrome" + "e-ink" also reminds me of pen-and-ink illustrations, like the kind you might see in old-fashioned kids' novels.

For more line-based geometric decoration, try cyberpunk or Art Deco lithography, or maybe just engraving design.

But if you’re honing in on a truly unusual aesthetic, explore by doing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.