In other languages, alphabets can combine characters into symbols. I don't know if Photoshop can do that. Is there a clean way to do it, or a special plugin (preferably free)?. Maybe there is some hackish way like opening 3 programs and then writing in one, clearing in 2nd and then pasting in 3rd.

I mean Photoshop is used in other non english countries. What do they do? Or Adobe doesn't care about them?

  • 1
    Adobe applications are available in multiple language versions.
    – Scott
    Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 7:26
  • 2
    @Muhammad: Different language input methods are a wide field. Primarily, it depends on the operating system and keyboard settings which Photoshop should then work with as well. Could you name languages you have in mind or link to an image/text for example?
    – TehMacDawg
    Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 8:55
  • Urdu, Chinese, and Arabic.
    – user8795
    Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 17:00
  • Microsoft word seems to understand all other fonts completely. And mix them appropriately.
    – user8795
    Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 20:47
  • heck even in start menu its writing the language correctly.
    – user8795
    Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 22:05

5 Answers 5


As far as my knowledge goes all you need is a font that is available in your language of preference to be installed on to your machine (provided it should be a photoshop compliant font). In my case I used a Hindi font with ease provided I had a Hindi keyboard layout available with me. I did this using Adobe Photoshop CS4. Hence if you're using a CS5 or a CS6 the software would be backward compatible and would serve the same way as it did in my case.


I understand the frustration of the OP, @Muhammad Umer. You very well may want to contact WinSoft, for they make many tools to help Arabic, Hebrew and other languages comprised of symbols flow correctly. The bulk of the issue for Adobe, I assume, is that they concentrate complex text, H&J's and language controls within InDesign CS6.

InDesign would likely be the answer to how to best layout Arabic text. Place the Photoshop image within InDesign and design/layout from there in Arabic or the language you need to use. With the Worldready plugin from InDesign, this is largely possible, yet still many opt for InDesign ME from WinSoft for deeper Middle Eastern language and text layout control.

That said, Adobe does have tools and even a special "layer" PSD file to help specifically with Arabic or right to left flowing languages in Photoshop. You need to change your language settings in Photoshop and indeed need the proper fonts and keyboard (or keyboard overlay), but it is possible. See: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3407321 I hope this helps.

  • ok this layer works...but shouldn't there be like built in feature for this.
    – user8795
    Commented Mar 9, 2013 at 1:20
  • Nvm That Layer has bugs in it. Still having troubles.
    – user8795
    Commented Mar 9, 2013 at 1:52

Search for Fonts online, wide variety of fonts in all language is available. Just download it and try typing using text tool. That's it.

  • it just writes alphabets, it doesnt combine them as they should.
    – user8795
    Commented Mar 8, 2013 at 17:01

Yea, you just cant write that easily. Did you try visiting http://www.google.com/transliterate. I believe almost all language is there, you can type it and install the same font used by google in your desktop/pc and paste it. Just have a try. Make sure before pasting the data to install the same font or compatible fonts with that of google fonts.


As far as I know, Chinese keyboards (for example) are different from English ones. With a combination of Ctrl or Alt and a particular letter, you can write many different symbols. It is similar in Polish just with less possibilities available (as we don't have so many own letters). It is actually not annoying nor uncomfortable at all once you get used to it (or use it for all your life).

Of course, the font must have symbols you want to use; searching for it may be a little troublesome.

Here you can see what a Chinese keyboard looks like.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.