I'm trying to achieve the gradient effect shown in the below examples on each letter of the type I'm using in a logo design. I don't really know what this style is called, so I can't effectively look for tutorials regarding how to do this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Bibliotheque Forum Meyrin Logo Flutterfly Logo DJ Loop Logo

  • Illustrator CS6 will have gradient strokes and variable-width strokes which will probably be a good way to apply these sort of effects to type. It'll be one to be careful with though - adding regular strokes to text can easily look awful, so adding fancy strokes will need even more delicate care. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:44

5 Answers 5


They're just careful applications of gradient fills and/or meshes to give a depth effect.

Not everything has a specific term for which complete tutorials can be found.

I would advise just trying to recreate these logos and come back when you hit a specific problem.


One good, quick, highly flexible and non-obvious way of getting effects like the first one would be to create a gradient-like blend object from a few thick-stroke lines (see below), make a new pattern brush from it using the brushes panel, curve a path or paths into the right shape, and apply the brush to the paths. Here's an example:


The original blended object is top left, the three elements used to make the blend copied and released top right. Note it has to be a blend not a gradient fill since illustrator can't use gradient fills in brushes.

They almost certainly didn't use this technique. But it's a good one :-)


You should be able to find something similar on this link. Although this is in solid colors you should be able to get that effect by adding gradients.


Good luck!


I believe the techniques you're after are similar to this post: How to make these color effects

The simple answer, in either Illustrator or Photoshop, is that they're just carefully placed gradients within the shapes. Nothing more, nothing less.

  • I think the crux in this question is how the gradients follow the shape, instead of just overlapping the picture/shape as a whole from one side to another.
    – paddotk
    Feb 12, 2014 at 12:49

All you need to do is play with the gradient options and angle.

Just play with those two and I'm sure you will get the same output

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.