I have images that are 768x1200, and I want to add black bars to them so that their resolution is 1920x1080. How do I do that?

  • 1
    You don't mention what software you are using. In Photoshop you would set the background colour to black and increase the canvas size. Commented May 9 at 18:10
  • Create a new image, 1920 x 1080 px, fill it black. Paste your image on top, reposition/rescale as required.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented May 9 at 18:30

1 Answer 1


It can be done by a ton of programs so you need to decide which one you want to use.

Always keep a backup for the original files.

You can use free software for this. In Irfan View (windows) https://www.irfanview.com/

You have two options. Add both, vertical and horizontal bars, which will render a small image inside a big black background, but that is probably not what you want.

enter image description here

Most likely you want to maximize the size of the image and then add bars. So it is a two-step process.

  1. Menu > Image > Resize/Resample On the dialog box keep an eye on these options. Method, Preserve aspect ratio. I am typing the height value, so the with is still inside the limits of the file I want.

enter image description here

  1. Menu > Image > Change Canvas size

On this dialog box define Method 2, and the final size. Choose the bar's color and center.

enter image description here

Those basic steps can be done in any image editing software.

If you want to process a ton of images, in Irfan view:

Menu > File >Batch Conversion Rename

  1. Choose Conversion, Output directory, File format, etc.
  2. Add the files you want to convert
  3. Use Advanced Options for Bulk Resize

And on that dialog box do the same as I explained. Resample first.

enter image description here

And make a second pass to add the bars.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.