Here's a comprehensive list of the best software/online tools available right now
The application includes multiple 3D editors for design and process Fractals as well as the elements that support them. Incendia can also export fractals as meshes, suitable for 3D printing.
- Multiple 3D Fractal types
- Large render resolutions (17k for Donors)
- Supports 2X Antialiasing for smooth fractal renders
- Fractal Scripting support, for creating new fractal types
- Texture library and Procedural Texture generators
- Color Gradient support
- Multiple Rendering Styles (Including volumetric fog and many new render shaders)
- Multicore render engine
- 3D Baseshapes for Fractal based constructions
- 3D Fractal Editors
- 3D Baseshape Editor
- Material Editor
- 3D Mesh Export (volumetric mesh exports up to 1200x1200x1200 voxels for donors)
- Buffer Saving (for long renders)
- Animation Support
Ultra Fractal is raster based. The program works using a similar paradigm to Photoshop, allowing multiple layers to be combined using layer blending modes, transformations, and custom fractal formulas. Fractal formulas, coloring algorithms, and transformations may be written by users and a large number of such formula files are available in a public formula database.
- Create and render fractals
- Access to thousands of fractal formulas
- Coloring algorithms
- Deep zooming
- Image import
- Write your own formulas
- Layers and layer groups
- Geometric transformations
- Network calculations
Amberlight is a unique art tool that creates beautiful computer generated images and animations. Millions of particles are flying through your canvas and you can drive them with special fields.
- Fast procedural Amberlight renderer
- Fractal genre with more control
- Beautiful predefined gradients
- Render to image or animation
- Special modifiers - variations and waves
- Unlimited Undo & Redo
Chaotica is a next-generation fractal art application, designed for both novices and professional artists.
Novice users can enjoy editing randomized fractals to produce stunning HD wallpapers and animations.
Professional users will particularly value the fast, modern rendering engine. High-quality animations and huge images for print are easily produced, with real-time imaging controls that will dramatically accelerate your workflow.
- Unrivaled image quality
- Powerful editor with animation support
- Modern rendering engine
- Apophysis / Flam3 compatibility
- Over 100 "variation" transforms are natively supported, re-implemented for higher performance and accuracy
- Any transform can be used as pre or post (including DLL plugins) and can be used several times in a flam3 transform with different variables, massively extending Apophysis' fractal creation potential
- Real-time imaging controls
Electric Sheep - Freeware with Paid Premium Image Access
Electric Sheep is a collaborative abstract artwork run by thousands of people all over the world and can be installed on almost anything. When these computers "sleep", the Electric Sheep comes on and the computers communicate with each other by the internet to share the work of creating morphing abstract animations known as "sheep".
You can design your own sheep and submit them to the gene pool. The result is a collective "android dream", blending man and machine with code to create an artificial lifeform.
The Fractal Science Kit fractal generator comes with hundreds of built-in equations, transformations, orbit traps, and color controllers, allow the casual user to produce stunning fractal images while providing the experienced fractal developer a rich set of illustrative examples on which to build his/her own fractal programs.
The Fractal Science Kit fractal generator provides an interactive programming environment with Application Windows for viewing the fractal image, modifying the properties that define the fractal, examining the data behind the fractal, and viewing/editing the fractal programs, macros (inline functions/methods), and color gradients, used by the Fractal Science Kit to produce the final image.
There are 12 different Program Types supported by the Fractal Science Kit fractal generator.
- Fractal Equations
- Orbital Equations
- Alternate Values
- Orbit Traps
- Classic Controllers
- Classic Master Controllers
- Orbit Trap Controllers
- Orbit Trap Master Controllers
- Orbital Controllers
- Orbital Master Controllers
- Symmetry Transformations
Xeno Dream - Paid with Free Trial
Artist's workshop, adventure playground, tool or toy - Xenodream is a unique 3D graphics program that caters for everything from casual play to serious creativity. Technically, it's a procedural modeler with fractal capabilities, with both rendering and export. It is mostly interactive, with mouse or keyboard control (no programming or formula editing).
- Create objects from any combination of simple shapes, replication, fractal structures
- Transform the parts in hundreds of different ways with metamorphs. Result: inexhaustible possibilities
- Color the objects in various ways
- Create and edit color gradients, or import them from your files or pictures.
- Create backgrounds using a powerful texture editor
- Change views and camera settings
- Render as pictures
- Apply lighting, material and artistic effects
- Export as a mesh
- Export as a point cloud
- Create animations for render or export
- Preview and render in 3d stereo (parallel, cross-eyed or anaglyph)
- Open picture files for backgrounds; modify with filters
- Create a depth map from a picture, to texturize it with 3d lighting
Visions of Chaos is a professional high-end software application for Windows. It is simple enough for people who do not understand the mathematics behind it, but advanced enough for fractal enthusiasts to tweak and customize to their needs. It is the most complete all in one application dealing with Chaos Theory available. Every mode is written to give the best possible quality output. There are thousands of sample files included to give you an idea of what Visions of Chaos is capable of.
- Cellular Automata
- Diffusion-Limited Aggregation
- Hypercomplex Fractals
- Lattice Gas Automata
- OpenGL Shading Language
- Reaction Diffusion
- Video Feedback
Gnofract 4D - Freeware OSX & LINUX ONLY
Gnofract 4D is a free, open-source program which allows anyone to create beautiful images called fractals. The images are automatically created by the computer based on mathematical principles. These include the Mandelbrot and Julia sets and many more. You don't need to do any math: you can explore a universe of images just using a mouse. It runs on Unix-based systems such as Linux and FreeBSD and can also be run on Mac OS X.
Mandelbulb 3D is a free software application created for 3D fractal imaging. Developed by Jesse and a group of Fractal Forums contributors, based on Daniel White and Paul Nylander’s Mandelbulb work, MB3D formulates dozens of nonlinear equations into an amazing range of fractal objects. The 3D rendering environment includes lighting, color, specularity, depth-of-field, shadow- and glow- effects; allowing the user fine control over the imaging effects.
Using a spherical coordinate system, and some ingenious math, White and Nylander projected the Mandelbrot set into three dimensions, creating the Mandelbulb. In 3D-space, we see a more fully realized rendering of the Mandelbrot set. While the flat set exhibits infinite complexity, the Mandelbulb reveals that complexity in a fuller magnitude.
Mandelbulber generates three-dimensional fractals. Explore trigonometric, hyper-complex, Mandelbox, IFS, and many other 3D fractals. Render with a great palette of customizable materials to create stunning images and videos.
- Renders trigonometric, hyper-complex, Mandelbox, IFS, and many other 3D fractals
- Complex 3D ray-marching: hard shadows, ambient occlusion, depth of field, translucency & refraction, etc.
- Rich GUI in Qt 5 environment
- Unlimited image resolution on 64-bit systems
- Program compiled for x86 and x64 CPUs (Linux, Windows, OSX)
- Simple 3D navigator
- Distributed Network Rendering
- Rendering using OpenCL
- Key-frame animation for all parameters with different interpolations
- Material management
- Texture mapping (color, luminosity, diffusion, normal maps, displacement)
- Exporting of 3D objects
- Rendering queue
- Command line interface for headless systems
JWildfire - Freeware
JWildire is the spiritual successor of the award-winning special effect program Wildfire\7PPC for the Amiga – but this time implemented in Java and with a more sophisticated user interface and better effects.
- stunning 3D effects (such as wave3D, water, twirl3d, ...)
- 3D effect superimposition (e. g. wave3D interference)
- powerful Fractal flame generator
- image generators (perlin noise, cloud generator, plasma, ...)
- many "common" image processing effects in 2D (such as twirl, erode, convolve, ...)
- simple but powerful user interface which allows it to animate nearly any parameter by just a few mouse clicks
- Sunflow integration
BONUS ONLINE PROGRAMS