I have a rectangle, shown below, which has a gradient so that the top and bottom edges fade to black. I wish to reshape this this rectangle into a triangle (like the one pictured) so that top and bottom edges of the triangle still fade to black.

To produce the triangle below I converted the rectangle into a path, removed one of the nodes on the left, and then centered the remaining node on the left.

enter image description here

The gradient I am trying to implement, however, should look more like the one below (which I created in Microsoft Word). Notice how the directions of the gradient are in line with the sides of the triangle.

enter image description here

Are there any ways to create a triangle that has the gradient pattern shown above? Thanks all.

  • This is a little confusing. It sounds like you are asking how to make the exact triangle you made in the example. Could you clarify a bit?
    – DA01
    Commented Apr 15, 2013 at 20:29
  • My apologies. I am finding this problem difficult to describe. I added an additional picture that will hopefully clarify what I am aiming to create.
    – Doubt
    Commented Apr 16, 2013 at 0:36
  • ah, thanks. Yes, that's much clearer! Alas, I do not know of a way to do that in Inkscape. Inkscape is great, but, admittedly, it's gradient tool isn't particularly advanced.
    – DA01
    Commented Apr 16, 2013 at 1:57

2 Answers 2


As DA01 mentioned the gradient options in Inkscape are somehow limited. If you don't mind using two objects instead of one here's a guide:

Create a rectangle with a gradient, transform it to a path and drag two nodes to create a triangle. Hit F2 and drag the Linear gradient end node to the tip of the triangle.

enter image description here

Now create a rectangle, cover the upper half of the triangle with it, select the rectangle and afterwards the triangle and cut it with Path > Difference.

Now duplicate and mirror your new triangle.

enter image description here

If you try to join them the gradient will be lost unfortunately.

  • 1
    Just the type of work-around I was looking for. Thanks boo2060!
    – Doubt
    Commented Apr 16, 2013 at 21:13

I realise you're after an Inkscape solution, but I was able to make what you're after in Photoshop by creating a gradient, turning it into a Smart Object, then distorting it.

If nothing else, maybe it'll serve as an example of what you're after?

Squashed Gradient

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.