I am not much of a designer. Looks like a very basic thing to do but i don't know how to do it. I just want to create a line that is blurred from the ends and have this shade at the bottom of it. Its a kind of a separator that i can use on a website. I want to do it in Photoshop. As an example, check out the following image:

enter image description here

  • In Photoshop I would probably draw an ellipse and use gaussian blur ( you could use smart filters to keep it editable ) and then make a rectangle selection and mask out the top part of it. The line at the top is just a matter of duplicating the ellipse layer and masking out the bottom part so that you are left with a line at the top.
    – Joonas
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 8:45
  • Very Similar: Photoshop curved Shadow
    – JohnB
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 12:10
  • A good way to make the line portion of this is to draw a line, add a layer mask, and then use the Gradient tool (Reflected gradient), check 'reversed' and draw it on the layer mask. (Your selected colors should be black and white)
    – Hanna
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 16:31

3 Answers 3


Create a New Layer and then Using Rectangular Marquee Tool Draw line and then choose brush tool to paint

enter image description here

enter image description here

Using Eraser tool erase the both ends and set the Eraser Opacity to 50%

Make a new layer and using Rectangular Marquee Tool draw rectangle below the edge line and paint gently using brush which set to opacity 50%.

enter image description here

Now choose the line layer and select Gaussian Blur and set radius to 20. See the final result below. Hope it helps You !!!

enter image description here

  • While you were able to reproduce the proposed picture, I would like to add that using the eraser is not always very precise (and I haven't used it in 10 years myself). Changing the transparency later is just a lot easier with layer styles.
    – KMSTR
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 7:47
  • @KMSTR - You mean not to use the eraser tool at the edges?
    – Bala
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 7:51
  • 1
    Yes. The fading out edges can be done in non-destructive layer styles. While erasing is a destructive workflow. Meaning you can't tweak it later.
    – KMSTR
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 7:53
  • @KMSTR - I agree to your suggestion, but it is the simplest way to achieve the design and also OP is not much of a designer.
    – Bala
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 7:56
  • I agree it is the simplest way. But if you ever change your mind (or the client does), you have to do it over and over again. So why not learn it how to do it properly from the start?
    – KMSTR
    Commented May 18, 2013 at 8:24

Make a rectangular shape of the total size of your line (e.g. 1px by 600px). Set fill to 0%. Double click the layer to access the layer styles. Add gradient overlay. Edit gradient to go from 0% black to 50% black to 90% black.


Settings -Variable width profile

I'm doing a straight line (in Illustrator) with faded edges and I just selected a Variable width profile setting next to the stroke setting (Not sure if this would be relevant for a curved line or shape though)

Photoshop is a lot easier - I add a layer mask and apply gradients to the edges I would practically never use the eraser tool as it's a destructive edit. If you use layer masks you can always change it later

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.