I know that Inkscape does not have the ability to export selected objects as svg, but is there a workaround that people have found that works?
A straight-forward method is the following:
- Select the object(s) to export.
- "Resize page to drawing or selection" (File → Document Properties) or Ctrl+Shift+R.
- "Invert selection" (Edit → Invert selection) or !, and Del all other objects.
- "Save As" with Ctrl+Shift+S.
- Select Optimized SVG as the format if you want to use it on the web.
Not as quick as I would like but quicker than creating a new document for each graphic that you want to export.
I keep another instance of Inkscape running on the side and just copy-paste the object I want to save into the scratch document, then
Another option if you just want the path data is to select the object, Shift+Ctrl+X to open the XML editor, grab the pieces you want (usually the
d attribute), then paste to wherever.
protected by Mᴏɴᴋᴇʏ♦ Dec 1 '14 at 13:44
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?