I know that Inkscape does not have the ability to export selected objects as svg, but is there a workaround that people have found that works?
A straight-forward method is the following:
- Select the object(s) to export.
- "Resize page to drawing or selection" (File → Document Properties) or Ctrl+Shift+R.
- "Invert selection" (Edit → Invert selection) or !, and Del all other objects.
- "Save As" with Ctrl+Shift+S.
- Select Optimized SVG as the format if you want to use it on the web.
Not as quick as I would like but quicker than creating a new document for each graphic that you want to export.
I keep another instance of Inkscape running on the side and just copy-paste the object I want to save into the scratch document, then
Another option if you just want the path data is to select the object, Shift+Ctrl+X to open the XML editor, grab the pieces you want (usually the
d attribute), then paste to wherever.