I am the graphic designer of a game and I want to recreate the look of these images (I mean the characters, not the 2.5 scene).

My questions are:

  1. Does this character style (no legs or arms) have a specific name?

  2. How can I create characters in this style?

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


I don't know of an exact term for that, but it looks influenced by a Japanese trend for drawing characters with excessively large, over-rounded heads and over-emphasised eyes, sometimes called chibi after a Japanese term. Apparently it's also sometimes called super-deformed, but I think that term is asking for an awkward misunderstanding... Basically, it's about going all out for cuteness and expression while maintaining some simplicity.

enter image description here

Those terms aren't very widely used, and are most often associated with Manga and Anime but also apply to old-school Japanese role-playing video games, which I think is at least part of where these guys are taking their inspiration.

enter image description here

I think the style pictured is inspired by these old-school Japanese RPGs, and also, a trend for western merchandise inspired by the chibi style:

T-shirt with "chibi" large-headed Superman figure a

Here's an example of a tutorial for drawing chibi-style heads. For your variant, start along those lines, make whatever deviations you want from the standard style (e.g. your example has much simpler features), then, when you've finished the head, don't draw any arms... :)

enter image description here

  • Why is the t-shirt blank?
    – Flux
    Jun 11, 2020 at 7:18
  • @Flux That's weird. Looks like the image was hotlinked and the 3rd-party site replaced it with a blank T-shirt image. I've updated it. Jun 11, 2020 at 8:13
  • You should probably host the "Chibi Jack Skellington Papercraft" image on Imgur as well.
    – Flux
    Jun 11, 2020 at 9:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.