For example in these images, what are the 'dirty spots' brushes applied to them called?

enter image description here

I am newbie in PS and trying to figure it out.


They look like Paint splatter brushes to me.

enter image description here

Some of them are applied directly to the background directly to the background, using the Brush Tool (B):

enter image description here

And some of them are being used as masks over other elements (new layer with the brush, then apply as mask over other elements):

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

They do not look like brushes at all. It would appear that they were simply loosely masked to create the white edges.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks I wasnt talking about the edges but the spots in the rest and the > symbol – JorgeeFG Jul 17 '13 at 1:29
  • Okay, I still don't think it's any particular brush. It's merely a matter of a poorly made mask to show the white. For the chevrons (>) it's just a matter of painting white spot over them. There's no super-secret way. – Scott Jul 17 '13 at 1:30
  • The white spots have a name in brush? For searching google. I searched Dirty Brushes but there are not like the spots in the images, Thanks! – JorgeeFG Jul 17 '13 at 1:33
  • It's just a standard brush... nothing special. Grab any brush and paint white spots. – Scott Jul 17 '13 at 1:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.