I can't seem to find it, even though it's probably looking me dead in the face. I'm new to Illustrator so I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of it. I'm using CS5. Any and all help is appreciated!


What AdamSchuld says below is the standard way (transparency window).

A second way of setting blending modes with finer control on what they apply to is via the super-useful Appearance window.

With this, you can set the blending mode (and opacity) of individual fills and strokes, as well as of certain effects. You can also give elements multiple fills and strokes with different blending modes to each other, which is sometimes useful if you're doing something complicated.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • +1 actually, I didn't know that you could separate the opacity of the stroke from fill. Is that a recent change in Illustrator? – Adam Schuld Jul 30 '13 at 11:45
  • I don't think so, I think it was possible at least in CS4, but I think it's one of those lesser-known features. I discovered this by accident quite recently while trying to do something else with the appearance window and now use it quite a lot. There are lots of little non-obvious tricks with using the appearance panel. – user56reinstatemonica8 Jul 30 '13 at 12:46

You can find the blending modes in the Transparency Window accessed by Window → Transparency. Transparency Window

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.