I have an object with some perspective, to simulate a paper curl effect (blue sticker on image below).

enter image description here

How do I apply the same effect to text (i.e., how do I make the purple text look like it is part of the sticker)?

I guess I must find a way to curve my object on the z axis, but, I have no idea how to do that.

Here is what I tried:

  • I started to create an outline of the text (Type > Create Outline).

  • From there, I tried to play with Envelope Distort Actions (Make with Warp, Make with Mesh, Make with Top Object).

Make with Top Object sounded the most close to what I need, but either it's not the right tool, either I don't get how to use it.

  • Menu Effect > Warp: none of the actions are what I'm looking for. Some are close, but only by chance.

  • Menu 3D : seems like it will extrude me a shape, not at all what I'm looking for.


1 Answer 1


I would use a Mesh Envelope Distort. The easiest way to ensure that the text follows the same contours as the sticker is to recreate the sticker shape. In this case, it's very easy since the un-warped dotted-line "shadow" of the sticker will give us a good base line.

Step 1: Re-create the Surrounding shape and Group it with Your Text

Re-create the surrounding shape

Step 2: Create a Mesh Envelope Distort

Specify 1 Row and 1 Column. I reduced the opacity of the re-created shape to make things easier

Create a Mesh Envelope Distort

Step 3: Manipulate the Anchors and Handles to Match the Curled Shape

It doesn't have to be perfect if you're only doing this for the text

Manipulate the Anchors and Handles to Match the Curled Shape

Step 4: Edit the Mesh Contents to Remove the Re-Created Shape

This will leave you with your finished product

enter image description here

You can tweak it as necessary to give it more depth, but this should point you in the right direction.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.