I'm using Illustrator CC, and have a tear-drop shaped object which has a gradient mesh applied to it. I need to use the pathfinder divide tool in combination with another simple shape to take a chunk out of the teardrop, but the pathfinder tools don't seem to have any effect on an object with gradient mesh applied. Am I missing something obvious, or is this not possible?
Late to this, but anyone else with this issue may find my results helpful:
How to clip a gradient mesh into a group of objects/paths. What?: I want to fill my large group of objects with a colour that is a gradient mesh.
- Make your gradient mesh separately in a shape (I chose a rectangle).
- Make sure your artwork (mass of objects) is grouped together.
- Make sure you've outlined your strokes.
- Select your grouped objects and make them into a compound stroke. (Object > Compound Path > Make)
- Arrange the Gradient Mesh rectangle to be behind your grouped objects.
- Move the Gradient Mesh into place behind your artwork, as you want it fill the objects.
- Make sure the Gradient Mesh rectangle and group of objects are both selected.
- Right-click > Create Clipping Mask