Can anyone tell me the name of the design style used for these types of designs? If there is a name for them, even. They're text heavy with different typography on just about every line and a sort of controlled chaos. I'm trying to find a good set of examples online but it's not Googling well and this isn't my area of expertise. Thanks in advance.

enter image description here

Actually, after reading this question and searching some more, I feel like it's a bad imitation of hand lettering which will help to solve my problem. I may have phrased the question poorly due to my ignorance. Thank you all for your help anyway.

  • "A text heavy ad with multiple types of typography" sounds good to me. I don't think there is an official name for it. – John Sep 24 '13 at 16:41
  • 1
    Looks like an infographic, though I'm not sure if they're for advertising. – Dom Sep 24 '13 at 16:49
  • @Dominic that was my first thought too...even though it's not an infographic it has some similarities in style. (If it means anything though, I don't think this is a good mix of typefaces.) – Brendan Sep 24 '13 at 18:08
  • 1
    It's called.. design.... :) – Scott Sep 24 '13 at 19:39
  • 1
    Given that example, I'd use the term 'tacky' or maybe 'cluttered' – DA01 Sep 24 '13 at 19:46

Yeah, I don't think there's one specific name for that. If you weren't feeling too charitable you could call it a pastiche... but more usefully that style of design pretty much arose out of mid to late 19th to early 20th century broadsheets.

  • I guess it is a pastiche in a way. Considering it imitates the style of hand lettering to some degree. Not quite what I was looking for but thank you for the help none the less. – Fletchling Sep 25 '13 at 16:39

You might find some similar stuff searching for Infographics.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.