How can i achieve this effect in photoshop? is it hand drawn in illustrator or can it be done using a couple of filters and gradients in photoshop ?

enter image description here

I found that picture while going through this page. http://www.digitalartserved.com/gallery/Various-Illustrations-2013/10068071

  • 1
    That image is not the result of running a few filters. – Scott Sep 26 '13 at 11:14
  • So , you think its hand drawn in illustrator ? or can it be done using PS alone ? displacement filter maybe ? – Mevin Babu Sep 26 '13 at 11:39
  • It might be multiple copies of an image trace with varying degrees of detail stacked on each other. But that's in Illustrator and I didn't test that theory. – deecemobile Sep 26 '13 at 12:46
  • 1
    Beautiful! I wonder what it would look like with normal coloring. Perhaps it was some kind of live trace mixed with some kind of coloring algorithm? Or maybe it was just a lot of hard, manual work! – Brendan Sep 26 '13 at 13:21

I would think he probably starts with a basic portrait (drawn or live-traced), and then applies the color layers manually.

It's hard to tell, and there's no reason why you can't ask the author himself, but I'm guessing it's manual work because of these two pictures in his website's profile page:

enter image description here

enter image description here

And you can also see the same amount of hand-crafted detail in this other piece from his portfolio:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.