I want to create a ripple effect. I have an existing smart object with a black/transparent "ripple" effect. I want to turn this into a refraction effect so that you don't see the black/transparent effect, but you instead see the image below it refracted and bulging, like you would see in a water ripple.


Sounds like you want a displacement map.

Photoshop can do this, but it is set up a little bit differently than what you describe. To demonstrate, I am going to use this source image paired along with this displacement map.


  1. Save the displacement map as a separate .psd file

  2. In a new document, set the source image as a Smart Object so that the displace will be applied as a Smart Filter.

  3. Filter → Distort → Displace..., use the settings below, and click OK

  4. In the file selection window that pops up, choose the displacement map .psd file that we saved in step 1


enter image description here
Left: Source Image / Center: Displacement map / Right: Finished product

Photo credit: mkozemchak

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.