Possible Duplicate:
How to design sleek magnifying glass effects like these?

I've seen this done many times, and I'm wondering how to do it.


If someone could point me to a tutorial on how to do the magnifying glass thing, I'd greatly appreciate it.


  • 1
    In what context do you need to do this? Do you already have an image that you want to "magnify" or are you going to start from scratch?
    – Kyle
    Jun 21, 2011 at 17:21
  • I just want the a tutorial on how to do it.
    – Spencer
    Jun 21, 2011 at 17:48

2 Answers 2

  1. Open an image.
  2. Select all and Copy it.
  3. Create a new layer and Paste the copy.
  4. Shrink the first layer to the appropriate size.
  5. Use a shape tool (I'm away from my PS install at the moment so forgive my imprecision) to draw a circle around the area of interest in the second layer.
  6. Use the Magic Wand to select everything outside of the circle and delete it.
  7. Move the second layer around so that the circled area is over the appropriate part of the first layer.
  8. Resize the canvas to fit the image.
  • 1
    I would change (6) to "apply a layer mask to hide everything outside the circle." This way, you do not destroy your work from previous steps, and you can alter the size of the circle or even move the magnified section later.
    – horatio
    Jun 21, 2011 at 18:41
  • Steps 5 and 6 could be replaced by making a selection with Elliptical Marquee Tool and Layer->Layer Mask->Reveal Selection. As with horatio's comment, it would give a bit more tweakability afterwards.
    – Hrulga
    Jun 22, 2011 at 7:55

Don't know why or how the same question got asked twice in 10 days, but here you go: How to design sleek magnifying glass effects like these?

Matthew gave an adequate answer, but didn't mention how to do the layer effects.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.