What is the official name of this image gripper? It is often found on the side of a panel widget for dragging.

Is it named "gripper"? A Google search doesn't return a lot of results for "gripper icon".

  • We can help you identify the name of this sort of UI element, but resource gathering is too broad for our community. Also, A screenshot of where this element is used would be helpful.
    – JohnB
    Jan 23, 2014 at 22:16
  • 2
    Should be migrated to UX.stackexchange.com Jan 24, 2014 at 0:54

2 Answers 2


Very few UI elements have names that approach anything close to being 'official'. There's plenty of common terms for a lot of the common UI elements, but even then, one shop may call it one thing, while another a something different.

So, use what you want and your team agrees upon. "gripper" is as good as any.

  • The two most common terms are "handle" followed by "gadget." Gadget has dropped out of fashion over time, since it has been co-opted as a term for mostly useless programs.
    – horatio
    Jan 24, 2014 at 15:41

The jQuery library calls this icon 'ui-icon-grip-dotted-horizontal.'

Reference: http://api.jqueryui.com/theming/icons/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.