What is the design style called where they create form with simple shapes, usually triangles like they have done with the ground in the Chrome Maze Experiment

Or like the images below:

  • 1
    Im not sure who to mark as the correct answer for @winnyboy5 more accurate results appear in google images but it doesnt seem to really be a style. Commented Feb 13, 2014 at 10:07
  • 1
    – dotancohen
    Commented Feb 13, 2014 at 11:44
  • 3
    It's called "overly trendy"
    – DA01
    Commented Mar 5, 2014 at 3:20

5 Answers 5


While we could trace the aesthetic back to various art and design styles such as the aforementioned cubism, there are some more recent terms such as low-poly or faceted illustration. Tim Reynolds was one of the earlier users of the style.

It can be done via 3D rendering (where it originates...essentially reducing the polygons used to render a complex object), or 2D filters (or just by hand). There's an App for it too: Dmesh

Related to it would be voxel style which, instead of connected planes to create a 3D shape, is used individual 3d shapes (such as in Minecraft).


These are offshoots of Delaunay Triangulation and can most easily be found by searching for "Delaunay Illustration", "Triangulated Illustrations" or "Triangulation Illustrations"

There are other tools that have since become available such as, DMesh.



Cubism is an early-20th-century avant-garde art movement pioneered by Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso, joined by Jean Metzinger, Albert Gleizes, Robert Delaunay, Henri Le Fauconnier, Fernand Léger and Juan Gris1 that revolutionized European painting and sculpture, and inspired related movements in music, literature and architecture. Cubism has been considered the most influential art movement of the 20th century.2 The term is broadly used in association with a wide variety of art produced in Paris (Montmartre, Montparnasse and Puteaux) during the 1910s and extending through the 1920s. Variants such as Futurism and Constructivism developed in other countries.

Pablo Picasso paintings.....

  • 2
    yes and no :) Visually I feel you are correct. But cubism has this concept of merging objects and surrounding into one. So the geometric aspect can be used as inspiration but the style shown is certainly more of a "polygonal" one. Searching for "polygonal design" certainly turns up results like the one in the question.
    – KMSTR
    Commented Feb 13, 2014 at 7:58
  • 1
    It's all based upon Cubism - The notion of using geometric shapes to form an image.
    – Scott
    Commented Feb 13, 2014 at 8:17
  • Of course it's based on cubism. But I just would not have called it that as it is just different and only based on it.
    – KMSTR
    Commented Feb 14, 2014 at 9:26
  • 1
    Also just to mention; 'Cubism abandoned traditional perspective endeavouring to explore the multidimensional facets of an object rather than express it in a flat two dimensional manner. The elimination of colour and the application of collage emphasized the 'idea' of the object' - taken from The Thames and Hudson Dictionary of Graphic Design and Designers. By that measure I would be inclined to agree that the style above is definitely influenced by cubism, if not a modern form.
    – Jenna
    Commented Feb 14, 2014 at 16:48
  • "Vector cubism" seems like a good description that gives a few slightly similar results Commented Mar 5, 2014 at 11:31

The style is "cubist" or "cubism"

but I think the images you post have a definite digital feel.

I would call them "cubist illustration" or "digital cubism" if I were trying to specify and illustration style.

  • Thanks @pixelfairy - yeah your right my images do tend to have a more digital style Commented Feb 13, 2014 at 9:52

I call them origami illustrations.

  • 5
    Do you have a source for this? Wild guesses aren't very useful, and most books seem to use "origami illustration" to describe the diagrams that tell you how to fold an illustration?
    – Dan Hulme
    Commented Feb 13, 2014 at 13:12
  • 1
    Interesting how many similar results appear on a Google image search for those terms
    – Yisela
    Commented Mar 5, 2014 at 3:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.