Is there a way to duplicate layers in Photoshop, similar to Illustrator?

In Photoshop & Illustrator you can use the select tool and press the alt key to move and duplicate a layer. But in Illustrator after I duplicate the layer I can press Ctrl D to keep duplicating the layers in a equal distance apart.

Indesign can also do this by pressing Shift, Ctrl, Alt & D at the same time.

As far as I know Photoshop can not do this.

Does anyone know if this can be done in Photoshop?

2 Answers 2


Yup.... Edit > Transform... > Again

enter image description here

However, this won't work when duplicating layers. You can simply use Command/Ctrl+J to duplicate layers.

Note that Illustrator does not duplicate layers either. It duplicates object transformations on the same layer. The difference is that Illustrator can have an object stack in addition to the Layer stack. There is no object stack in Photoshop.

  • Great answer and great explanation I appreciate it.
    – daugaard47
    Commented Mar 6, 2014 at 4:34

it is enough to use “actions”.

  1. you create a new action.
  2. moves the object holding the Option/Alt.
  3. stops the action.
  4. Click on the Play >.
  5. Done.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.