As a graphic designer I have found it always very interesting that how designs made in past look very outdated, unfit, out of place, underwhelming and just wrong. Even though i know it's true designs/trends of today WILL become the old ones in near future. But why...what is it about us or designs that makes them like that to us.
So far I have thought of several things maybe it's one of these or mixture....
- Newer designs/trends are in fact an Improvement? or ..
- Novelty of newer designs hasn't just worn off? So in comparison they look better.
- Old designs are beautiful it's just they functionally hard for us as we are accustomed to other forms of retrieving message.
But the thing that bothers me is that if most/some designs' newer version looks better just because it's better related to current era, achievements, and technical capabilities, then why does it appear that designs have improved in all last 10 iterations per decade. If my view is subjective to previous and newer design..then why do designs of era in which i don't live in or lived in appear progressively getting better.
For that i have also happen to have some things in my mind...
- I am shortsighted in a way that most designs i get to see today are on digital media and digital media has been technologically challenged in its abilities so That means there is "Good Design" for the most part.
- There is Good Design and recently good UI, public representation, marketing is becoming a more of a priority...seriously most sites in past looked liked they were meant to be used by desperate people.
- They were just designed bad without consideration of aesthetics..I say that because some art looks just amazing even if it was made 2000 years ago..some things just do look beautiful.
So do old art/designs/logo/typography look repulsive subjectively or they objectively are inferior?