enter image description here

How do you do this in Photoshop? I am using Photoshop cc and Illustrator and I am in the process of learning. Can anyone teach me how to do that text effect shown in the picture? thanks!

  • 6
    For something like this we ask you show that you've made some attempt to try on your own and got stuck at some point along the way.
    – Ryan
    Mar 13, 2014 at 14:23
  • 1
    This is called misregistration, I would suggest using that as a search term
    – JohnB
    Mar 13, 2014 at 14:31
  • 2
    Take your type layer, duplicate it 3 times, change the hue of each with a colorize tool. (nitpicky trivia: this would likely never happen in real life as you wouldn't use cyan, magenta and yellow overprinting to create Black. You'd just use black ink.)
    – DA01
    Mar 13, 2014 at 15:15
  • Tricks like this are based on overlapping shapes with blend modes Mar 13, 2014 at 15:46
  • Copy Paste Copy Paste Copy Paste Layer Colour Layer Colour Layer Colour ... oh and don't forget the transparency!
    – Paul
    May 3, 2016 at 8:26

2 Answers 2


You can do this in Illustrator by simply stacking fills and adjusting them via the Appearance Panel.


The Transform effect for each fill, simply moves the fill vertically so they are off-center.

  • great answer... but no black in OP... it was generated from the overlap as shown in @George Profenza's post below.
    – Phlume
    Mar 13, 2014 at 18:58
  • Answer was more about theory than actual creation. But, okay, you're right. Image updated.
    – Scott
    Mar 13, 2014 at 19:19
  • and now the +1 :-)
    – Phlume
    Mar 14, 2014 at 12:53

That's an example of the subtractive color synthesis. In illustrator you can do that by using a subtractive blend mode like multiply in the transparency panel: subtractive colours illustrator

To prove the concept I'm using 3 text elements filled with cyan, magenta and yellow. When all the layers overlap, they subtract from each other resulting in black

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.