How can I obtain this vector effect in Illustrator? Is there a name for this kind of effect? Please, help!

breaking bad


I doubt it was made in illustrator vector but it could've been. If so it was a very expensive custom job. More likely its a photo brought into photoshop then adjust levels and maybe use the posterize filter along with some hue/saturation techniques for the coloring.

To do this in illustrator you just need to draw all the different shades as vectors which is a lot easier said then done. There are plenty of tutorials out there if you search for "Illustrator Portrait Tutorial." The one I used when learning doesn't exist anymore. Again though to get to the level of the picture you posted takes a lot of patience and time.

Here's a tutorial that has a similar quality to the picture you posted if you do want to go for it: Spoongraphics - How to create a beautiful vector portrait in illustrator

You'll notice the first steps in that tutorial is the things I said in Photoshop. Basically you're always going to start by simplifying your photo and getting a tonal quality you want in photoshop. If you then really need it in vector you have to bring it in to illustrator and start tracing.

| improve this answer | |
  • Perfect answer. I'll opt by Photoshop! – user1747282 Mar 21 '14 at 4:14
  • I think Ryan said "Start with Photoshop and then bring it into illustrator." – horatio Mar 21 '14 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.