Is there a name for the type of web site layout in which

  • the body of the page is divided into horizontal sections;
  • each section is 100% wide but has content of fixed width (that is typically centered);
  • the background of each section is usually different?


I am not looking for templates, just for the name of this kind of layout.

Edit: There does not seem to be a name for it. I will call it "sandwich layout".

  • I've just called it "latest style"
    – leigero
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 17:39
  • Sandwich layout. Nice. I might use that!
    – Brendan
    Commented Apr 3, 2014 at 1:45

4 Answers 4


You can't really apply one label to this style.

  • It is fluid in the sense that it expands and contracts to use the whole viewport.
  • It typically used for vertical designs because it helps to break up the scrolling depth.
  • It is most commonly found on one page sites because it is well suited to a lot of content.
  • And it has certainly been a fashionable approach to site design over the past 18 months. I suspect it will begin to die back before long, at least in those cases where it's not particularly appropriate.

One Page Love is a good reference for use cases in this style.

  • It seems that you cannot apply one of the existing labels to this style. We just need a new name for it, though that is for another thread.
    – Steven
    Commented Apr 2, 2014 at 10:02

A common term is 'Vertically Scrolling Websites'.

Here is an example of the term in use.

'Parallax Scrolling' is also used when the background images and content move at different speeds when scrolling.

  • Interesting. If you are right then there is no specific name for this kind of layout.
    – Steven
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 16:39
  • Aren't all sites 'vertically scrolling'?
    – DA01
    Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 20:02

You can find these type sites searching vertical scrolling or infinite scrolling.


They're often referred to as: "single page websites."

  • A single page site / one page site is not a graphic style but a site with no additional pages. The poster is asking about the style itself. But, to your point, one page sites make frequent use of this style. Commented Apr 1, 2014 at 20:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.