I am really in to this kind of art style:


It heavily features lines and dots to create textures and shading. Is there a specific name for that kind of style? The image below is a really good example of what I am talking about, note the dots around the edges.

enter image description here

  • 1
    – Ilan
    Commented Apr 11, 2014 at 8:52
  • @Ilan that's a good description (I hadn't noticed the 'Beavis & Butthead' similarity before) but not really a name. This style seemed to be everywhere around 2010-2013, I'm sure it must have a name but I never noticed one (except for some people who don't like it dismissing it as 'hipster art'... but that's a broad brush...) Commented Apr 11, 2014 at 9:02
  • The edit to the question is good. I would say this picture is a really good example: m1.behance.net/profiles16/494899/prosite/projects/11638891/… note the heavy use of dots around the edges. Commented Apr 11, 2014 at 9:07
  • @user568458 Style should have some particular features. Here we see animation-like pics, but the first thing I recalled was Aubrey Beardsley en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_Beardsley
    – Ilan
    Commented Apr 11, 2014 at 9:08

1 Answer 1


You should look into underground comix (yes, with an x). It's a bit strange that they'd name-check Beavis and Butthead or reference 90s comics, when there's a clear influence from an older print tradition.

R. Crumb is the obviously place to start. Though there's a lot of variety in the genre, the commonality tends to a less polished adaptation of older pen and ink techniques (e.g., stippling, cross-hatching), even when working in other media, and a fascination with grotesque forms while documenting real life.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.