enter image description here

I want to apply a gradient effect and have it look like in this image.

  • no image attached.
    – Igor-G
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 10:45
  • you might want to Google around for the 'Gradient Mesh' tool.
    – Vincent
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 11:02
  • 1
    I believe Scott's answer here contains the answer to your question, and gummy worms! Illustrator different color stroke
    – Ryan
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 11:57

2 Answers 2


The easiest way to do this if you have Illustrator CS6 or newer is to just apply a gradient to a thick stroke:

enter image description here

You can then use Object > Expand Appearance to convert the stroke to a gradient mesh shape for further manipulation.


There are two ways I found in Adobe Illustrator these both are in envelope distort command under Object Menu::

  1. Envelope with Warp
  2. Envelope with Mesh

Take a rectangle or any shape put gradient inside it and run these two commands to modify your shapes and the gradient will run in the same direction.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.