There are some sans-serif fonts where serifs are used sporadically:

enter image description here

My questions are:

  • Are these considered real serifs, i.e. will typeface designers call them serifs or are there other names?

  • Is there a name for the phenomenon, meaning using "serifs" in sans-serif" fonts? Can I filter to find these "mix" fonts by using some keyword?

  • I found the letters I, T, S, Y, and C using such "serifs". Are there other common "serifs-in-sans" letters?

  • 3
    Semi-Sans, or Semi-Serif, are common terms used for this mixture.
    – Scott
    Commented May 3, 2014 at 9:33
  • @Scott do you think the question has no power to be answered directly? If so, I prefer to delete it...
    – Ilan
    Commented May 3, 2014 at 9:34
  • No it does.. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it at the moment. So, I left a comment to nudge you to a solution unable to provide detailed information at this time.
    – Scott
    Commented May 3, 2014 at 9:38
  • Semi-sans/Semi-serif normally refer to consistent little serifs, like Agfa Rotis, rather than inconsistency as the image. Which font is that? Commented May 3, 2014 at 11:00
  • @AndrewLeach this one is Anonymous (this is the name :) )
    – Ilan
    Commented May 3, 2014 at 11:11

1 Answer 1


Most commonly, Semi-Sans, or Semi-Serif are used for a typeface which has a mixture of both. I have, on rare occasions, seen Half-Sans/Serif used as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.