I've been using the Split Toning functionality of Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw for some time now -- you can see the effect in this video.

How would I go about performing adjustments like these in the core of photoshop? Note: I don't want to do this on a grayscale image, I want to adjust the hues of the shadows and highlights of a colored image.

  • It could be a good idea to post a screenshot from the video showing the effect you want to achieve; your video link might not be accessible in the future!
    – go-junta
    Commented Oct 26, 2015 at 19:56

3 Answers 3


Image > Adjustments > Color Balance

will get you close. It's not as simple as a hue and saturation slider, but it does allow for color adjustments based upon shadows and highlights.


You could always use Filter > Camera Raw Filter from within Photoshop as well. Split toning is part of that filter.

  • Yeah, that's pretty much what I've resorted to using. Was hoping there was a more accurate implementation of it elsewhere :( Commented May 20, 2014 at 21:41
  • Edited to add additional... :)
    – Scott
    Commented May 20, 2014 at 22:07
  • Yeah that's the bit I'm trying to replicate /outside/ of the ACR tool ^_^ Commented May 20, 2014 at 22:10
  • So you can't use the filter within Photoshop either??
    – Scott
    Commented May 20, 2014 at 22:11
  • Well, let me back up. I'm trying to write a comparable function in OpenGL shader language; I have no visibility into what that ST filter is doing, so I'm trying to figure out how to replicate it's functionality using the native Ps tools so I can better understand what it's doing. Commented May 20, 2014 at 22:16

Use the "select > color range" tool with the highest fuzziness value. Select a dark tone somewhere around "75% grey."

Hide the selection so you can see better, and use "image >adjustments>selective color"; make adjustments to "neutrals" only. Adjust saturation and/or levels as needed.

Deselect and then repeat using "25% grey" tone selection.


(Control + U) on Windows or (Command + U) on Mac will bring up Hue/Saturation panel. In this panel you get similar controls to fiddle with. Using a pair of layers you can achieve the desired results.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.