What is this effect called? Is it film-grain? It kind of looks like but the grains are bigger. Thanks a lot in advance.



2 Answers 2


This looks very much like monochrome Gaussian (as opposed to Uniform, which it's not) noise at a low opacity. If I were going to reproduce the effect, I'd do this:

  • Add the noise to a white layer in Multiply or Darken mode @ about 20% opacity above the object. (The example below is in Darken mode at 21%.)

  • Use Photoshop's Blend If function (in the Blending Options dialog) to allow the whitest parts of the underlying object to show through.

enter image description here

  • Scale up the noise layer. Scaling it up makes noise "grain" edges less sharp and gives that "blobby" look.

enter image description here

  • Glad to help. It was an interesting exercise, actually. :) Jun 9, 2014 at 22:29

Film grain is a possible answer.

Another is noise:

noise screenshot

You might also try to look up dithering - it's usually associated with GIF compression but can be used in an artsy way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.