I am interested in how to achieve this coffee cream/powder effect using Photoshop.

I have spent quite some time trying to figure this out, but wasn't successful. Using a clipping mask to apply texture works on very simple logos or text, but not on photos or anything that requires detail.

enter image description here

  • 3
    Just a greyscale photo tinted then set to multiply and opacity reduced a little. All the texture is from the cup photo simply showing through the overlaid portrait.
    – Scott
    Jun 25, 2014 at 19:04
  • This question was marked as duplicate but it's actually different from the one linked, so I've reopened it.
    – Yisela
    Jun 26, 2014 at 5:26
  • No effects are needed. There are commercial coffee printers available for this purpose. just feed the photo via a smartphone application or stand in front of the coffee machine's camera. Make a web search for coffee-, capuccino- and latte printers. There are so many that I do not believe they all are bad jokes. Unfortunately I haven't seen one. Here are no coffee automates.
    – user82991
    Oct 13, 2019 at 11:57
  • The post is 5 years old, so there is a chance coffee printers were not "that common".
    – Rafael
    Oct 13, 2019 at 16:58

1 Answer 1


"You're thinking about this," as they say, "the wrong way."

This isn't created by applying a texture to the photograph of the people, but by overlaying the photograph on an already-existing texture (the cappuccino).

The entry-level method is to place the photo on a layer above the coffee, change its Blend Mode to Luminosity and lower the opacity a bit, then mask out the parts that don't belong.

This can be finessed in different ways to better "sell" the effect.

  • Better color can be achieved with a Black-and-White conversion of the photograph, toned to a coffee hue and applied in Overlay, Color Burn, Darken or Multiply mode.

  • Surface Blur applied to the photograph would help give it a more "drawn on the surface" look.

  • A displacement mask created from the coffee image, applied to the photograph using Filter > Distort > Displace... could be used to modify the photo so it distorts to conform to the texture of the coffee.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.