Rounded Inflated Square

I am wondering how to create a path for this inflated square shape in illustrator or photoshop... btw how is is the shape called?

  • 1
    Name wise I'd say its a specimen in the family of superellipses. – joojaa Jul 8 '14 at 11:23
  • 3
    I do not mind helping you, even showing what you should do but I would like to see you show me what you have tried before I show you how – DᴀʀᴛʜVᴀᴅᴇʀ Jul 8 '14 at 13:12
  • I tried drawing using vector tools and i tried using rounded corner rectangle and then add anchor points.. but these methods are probably not balanced/mathematical at all... newbie here. thanks. haha – Chris Yeung Jul 8 '14 at 16:24
  • cocoanetics.com/2013/06/ios-7-icon-squircle interesting article after joojaa's comment. – Chris Yeung Jul 8 '14 at 16:26

In Illustrator:

  1. Draw a circle with the Ellipse Tool
  2. Select the circle and go to Effect > Warp > Inflate enter image description here

  3. Adjust the settings to the desired result (make sure preview is on), apply the settings.

  4. Expand the resulting shape Object > Expand enter image description here
  5. You may need to rotate the resulting shape

Play with the settings in the inflate effect dialog box, results will vary.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.