For Smart Objects (using PS 21.1.1):
I'm posting this respone here as, like me, I'm sure others have landed here looking to crop smart objects or vector/shapes, such as rectangles.
Rasterizing a smart object can be very destructive, this solution is for simple smart object such as rectangles.
Smart objects can't be cropped as explained by @Scott, however, I'd like to share the way I do it for simple smart objects (such as rectangles I use for coloured backgrounds):
- Make sure the smart object is in it's own layer.
- Duplicate the layer and turn off visibility of the original layer to preserve your smart object.
- Right-click on smart object layer >
Rasterize Layer (this will convert the smart object into a regular one).
- Now follow @Scott's answer (
Image > Crop).
Your former smart object is now cropped! If you want to turn the object back to be an smart object:
- Right-click on the layer >
Convert to Smart Object