Given the image below, that contains some graphic elements, which design style do you think that best describes the image? Can I say that the design used is Victorian? Or is it baroque? Art-deco maybe?

Please help, not very good at art unfortunately... Thank you!enter image description here

  • I think it has more art nouveau traits than art deco. Welcome to the site :)
    – Jenna
    Commented Sep 11, 2014 at 19:39

2 Answers 2


Other than the fact that they're all "decorative" those elements don't really fit in the same classification.

The initial cap 'C' is something from the medieval era, used in illuminated manuscripts.

The rectangular border design has a Celtic feel to it. That does have some overlap with the medieval period, stylistically speaking.

The odd snowflake and bars corner motif has a certain 1950s-60s Americana sensibility (aka kitschy mid-century modern). Same for the 'S' curve and stars border.

The swashy thing is considered calligraphic scroll work. That's common to the 19th century.

The circular design is also common to 19th century designs. I would call it typographic ornament, specifically Victorian era.


Terms that would fit some (if not all) of the items:

  • victorian (I wouldn't call it art-deco, though the left-most corner graphic could be)
  • illuminated (the monks of the middle ages)
  • ornate
  • swash

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.