If you take pictures and the aperture settings are not ideal, you will see a light shadow in the corners.



This effect is a sign of bad quality, but is also often used as a design element in movies, pictures and so on - how is it called?

I want to use it, but I have no clue how it's called.

  • Not always a sign of bad quality. My lens filters often create this effect due to them just being attached to my camera. Sometimes it just happens!
    – Hanna
    Sep 28 '11 at 19:13

It is called Vignetting, which, as you described:

[…] is a reduction of an image's brightness or saturation at the periphery compared to the image center.

It can appear as

  • Mechanical (filters used in a shoot, improper lens hood, etc)
  • Optical (lens)
  • Natural (illumination falloff)
  • Pixel (digital sensor's alignment to the scene)
  • Photographic film (the film's properties)

Nowadays it can be easily done in post-processing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.