In photoshop, i have a "speech bubble" of sorts.

I need to be able to move the little triangle bit of the bubble left, right, and to the side.

Then "rejoin" it with the rectangle, and apply all the gradent/bevel effects of the original.

photoshop has a selector tool, but i cannot seem to cut, coppy, delete with it - actually, i do not understand why the rectangle selector exists (unless maybe there is a market for people who like pretty transient rectangles?)

So, for pictures -

this is the intial image i want to move around: this is the intial image i want to move around:

this is the image with all the stuff removed, i just want to move that triangle around!! this is the image with all the  stuff removed, i just want to move that triangle around!!

And then of course reapply the effects that i disabled. I imagine this is a super simple job - how do i do this?

  • I'd suggest you actually redraw the shape. Would you like help doing that? You basically have to use the round corner rectangle tool and the polygon tool for the little triangle.
    – Yisela
    Sep 23, 2014 at 14:02
  • i mean, if it is easy to do i would like help, yes. i just thought that moving the triangle around and then reapplying all the filters would be the simplest!
    – bharal
    Sep 23, 2014 at 14:04

3 Answers 3


Since you already have this as a shape layer, you can easily select the points (Direct Selection Tool) and hold shift to move your triangle area.



This shape would actually take very little time to recreate, so I suggest you draw it from scratch:

  • Draw a round corner rectangle using the Rounded Rectangle Tool
  • Draw a triangle using the Polygon Tool
  • Join both shapes together (you can do this by copy-pasting the triangle on the rectangle layer, for example).
  • Apply your gradient.

Now you can move the triangle (use the Path Selection Tool to do this) around the rectangle and the gradient will be applied to the entire new shape.

enter image description here


The problem is that you're trying to manipulate a Shape. You have to rasterize the shape first. Right click on the layer of the shape in the Layer list and choose "Raterize". Then use the rectangle marquee tool to move the point around. The layer effects will be applied automatically.

  • 1
    you are a genius! what does "rasterize" do? Is it just graphic-code for "Make Normal"???
    – bharal
    Sep 23, 2014 at 14:07
  • The shape was a vector shape. You can't affect vector shapes with pixel tools, because they don't contain any pixels. Rasterize makes the vector shape into actual pixels you can manipulate.
    – Vincent
    Sep 23, 2014 at 14:10
  • @bharal Basically, a shape is a mathematical representation of an illustrated object. With points and direction of lines between the points. Manipulating such an object can be done in the points (point manipulating tool, shortcut A) but not in areas between the points. Rasterize basically means "transform to pixels". The object is then consisted of a grid of pixels, where each individual pixel has no "relation" to any other pixel. Therefore there's no problem manipulating isolated parts of such an object. Sep 23, 2014 at 14:16
  • 1
    @bharal I would not recommend rasterizing. See the other answers.
    – Scott
    Sep 23, 2014 at 18:40
  • @Scott just out of keen interest, why shouldn't bharal rasterize? Sep 24, 2014 at 7:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.