I know it's a lame question most likely but I am new to photoshop and I am currently trying to do a similiar image like this one:

enter image description here

and I've got this:

enter image description here

So, basically I'd like to make the light effect? A little bit light blue like its on the first one. Which tool in PS CS 6 Extended I should use?

Thanks for taking the time to check my question and possibly answer.

  • I tried with brush tool but it didnt do well. Example: i.imgur.com/LJAPSdw.png | The original one is a lot more gradually dark/light and text is a bit lighter. Also, the original one is like using Elliptical Marquee tool to make it some kind of form of it instead of no form like I did probably?
    – MobEn
    Oct 5, 2014 at 3:49
  • Change the blending mode and the opacity.
    – Rosenthal
    Oct 5, 2014 at 3:58
  • I changed it a few times to just test and its still output similiar results to my try above. Isn't there a way to select the area where the text is with Elliptical marquee tool and do this like in the original image?
    – MobEn
    Oct 5, 2014 at 4:04

2 Answers 2


Create a new document with a black background. Create a new layer, use the Elliptical Marquee Tool M to draw out an ellipse with your desired dimensions. Select a blue color of your choice and fill the ellipse selection with the Paint Bucket G. Use Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur with desired settings. You should now have the faded ellipse background for the text.

Select the Type Tool T to type out your text with white on a new layer. In the layers pane right click on your text layer and select Blending Options. Check the 'Outer Glow' option. Use something like these settings, they'll depend on your text size. Make sure to use a blue that is lighter than your background ellipse.

You should have a result looking something like this:

enter image description here

  • open your file
  • create a new layer
  • draw and fill in an oval shape with blue
  • blur this layer to the desired look
  • set the layer blending to 'lighten'
  • adjust opacity as desired

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.