How is it called when the carvings on a wooden or metallic surface are filled with ink while the relief is left uncover or painted resembling a shiny material. Beside, is there a common technique to accomplish this effect in Photoshop?

enter image description here


Looking for photoshop-antique-text-tutorial (thanks to Scott for his answer) I found this tutorial that closely resembles the effect I want to accomplish, but I need to change the sharp Bevel & Emboss effect for a smooth transition and maybe an outer glow that darken the regions surrounding the relief.

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Play around with the Bevel & Emboss effect in Photoshop

Quick/silly example: enter image description here


In metallurgy it's called Antiquing.

To create a similar appearance in Photoshop, simply darken the areas you wish to appear farther recessed.

Without seeing images you are actually working with, it's difficult to give any further guidance.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.