I have a black shape like this:

enter image description here

That red rectangle is not part of my shape. I just draw it so that divides my shape visually into two parts. I would like to only scale "the part of my shape inside red rectangle" horizontally (I do not want to scale "the part of the shape outside rectangle" horizontally). How can I do this in illustrator?

  • this just like the Arabic calligraphy ending vanished point. you don't have so many choices. Convert your path to an outline stroke and reshape your nodes and handles
    – hsawires
    Commented Nov 30, 2014 at 14:24

2 Answers 2


Since you are asking about Illustrator -- Grab the Direct Selection Tool (the White arrow) and click the anchor points on the left, and move them. That's all there is to it.


Click on Direct selection tool(shortcut : A).

Click on the object.

Anchor points will be shown.

Now carefully click on the anchor point.

Use arrow key to move the anchor point together in the direction desired

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.