So i know I can use brush simulate a brush stroke from thin-thick-thin Thin-Thick-Thin

and thick to thin with the fade option


Is there a way to simulate a brush stroke so the path will have thick end points and thin middle. I mean with out a tablet of some sort.

In addition, can i brush a path starting from the end point and not from the start anchor point?

If there is no way to do it in Photoshop, can I do something similar in Illustrator?

Thank you


2 Answers 2


It is not possible in Photoshop to use the Fade feature on both ends of a stroke. The only way to accomplish that is via a tablet with brush dynamics and pressure.

With Illustrator there are a couple methods to alter the width of a stroke.

  • You can use the Width Tool to manually click-drag areas along a path to increase or decrease a stroke's width.

enter image description here

  • You can choose a Profile for a stroke in the Stroke Panel or Control Panel (This essentially just applied the width variables in a predetermined fashion.)

enter image description here

Photoshop contains no features which are similar to this.


Illustrator has a width tool for strokes (CS5+): Illustrator Quick Tip: Adjusting Line Width with Stroke Profiles. So you can make the path and then edit the end point widths.

I am not sure how you would achieve the pen pressure without a tablet.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.