I know monospaced type (font) means all characters have the same width. Is there a similar name for fonts where all character have the same width and height?

  • 3
    I doubt there is an official name, but "square" fits. (On the minus side: browsing through www.fontsquirrel.com, it also seems to be used as "the opposite of 'round'". Oh well.)
    – Jongware
    Commented Jan 2, 2015 at 11:27
  • 1
    As far as i know monospaced does actually not mean that every character has to have the same width, but it means that the horizontal space that every character occupies exclusively has to be the same. Example: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/… The character M is wider than a, but they are both occupying the same amount of space (Horizontal and Vertical).
    – mnxd
    Commented Jan 2, 2015 at 13:34

3 Answers 3


[As far as I know] There is no name for such fonts, because there are too few of them to create a categorization.

As mentioned in the comments, square or perhaps geometric could be possible search terms.

Your best option is to look for perfectly square uppercase fonts, as these are easier to find.

Here is a font with lowercase and a close-enough width-height ratio:


enter image description here

  • 1
    The reason you dont se lots of fonts that have uniform height is that capital leters by definition have equal height* but small letters do not, it would be awfully hard to differentiate capital c from lower case c. *except they dont have to and accents + umlauts break havock on this.
    – joojaa
    Commented Jan 2, 2015 at 14:08
  • @Yisela it looks like the Panoptica font link is a 404 now, but I presume it is this one? fonts.com/font/shinntype/panoptica/doesburg (paid font, ~$39)
    – scunliffe
    Commented Feb 27 at 20:17

I think there is not! But feel free to make new declarations!

  • Mono-area font: would be the weight or black.area for each character are the same
  • Mono-size font: would be the same height characters
  • Mono-square font: would be the one you will share with us - mono-space-size font (if you make one)

Adobe calls those fonts "unicase".

  • Hmm. This seems to be fonts where there's only one case (normally that looks like uppercase). Not for the same size of width and height... Commented Feb 6, 2023 at 2:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.