I have a ellipse-ish raster shape with a ragged, translucent edge. I'd like to use this to punch out the same shape (with the same ragged, translucent edge) from a photo, so that I end up with a photo in the ellipse-ish shape.

In Illustrator, I could use the Pathfinder "crop" tool, though not sure how I'd approach the translucent edges. Is this possible in Photoshop CS6? Thanks for reading.

1 Answer 1


In Photoshop hold Command/Ctrl and click on the layer thumbnail in the Layers Panel for the raster image.

This displays the marching ants around your shape layer.

Next click on the layer you wish to mask and then click the layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel.

I think you can also select Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection from the top menu.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.