Is there any tool that gives the percentage occupied by an area in a image?

Given the following image:

enter image description here

Is there any kind of tool I can use to know the width in percent of the green and blue areas?

So, if the green rectangle is 30% wide and the blue one is 70%, how can I know that?

Thanks in advance!

  • Are you trying to automate the process for 100s of images, or just get an actual value for this single case? Jan 16 '15 at 1:37
  • In the world of responsive design I can see such a tool being kind of useful. I'm not aware of such a tool though. So that leaves figuring out the pixels of the desired area, the pixels of the wider component its a part of, and then using math to figure out the percentages.
    – bemdesign
    Jan 16 '15 at 3:05
  • 2
    Have you tried the measure tool? It's a linear measure, but you can use it to calculate the percent. In alternative you can measure the area of a selection with the pixel count in histogram dialog. Jan 16 '15 at 9:33

Since Photoshop is an option, it can be a viable solution to show the outer dimensions of selected area.

Activate Wand instrument (shortcut 'w') (leave settings to default, since rectangles are sharp and contrast), show info panel (shortcut F8).

Set 'Ruler Units' to 'Percent' in Info panel's options (duplicates the setting in Preferences / Rulers & Units but easier to reach).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.