enter image description here

I know how to put a shadow or outer glow around the document, but I can't figure out how to get those rounded edges. I guess it's not even a shadow, so more specifically, how do I create this rounded outer glow on a rectangular image?

3 Answers 3


As Matt suggested, adding a shape layer underneath your image would be a good start to create this effect since you can add and manipulate points as you see fit. In addition, adding an inner glow might give you a degree of control over the blur. This should give you the idea:

enter image description here

enter image description here


Another variation to the answer above is draw a circle shape behind your object and apply a dropshadow to that. Still editable but now you don't have to mess with pulling points around.

Glow effect Shadow settings


You can create that type of shadow two ways in Photoshop.

You can use a circle and apply a Gaussian Blur, located under Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur, or you can create a shape underneath the object and apply a blur after using warp which is located under Edit -> Transform -> Warp. If I can find time later in the day I will make some screenshots for you if you need further assistance.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.