I'm new to graphic design.

Does anyone know how to create a the matte shape like this from the picture below!enter image description here

closed as unclear what you're asking by Scott, DᴀʀᴛʜVᴀᴅᴇʀ Jan 21 '15 at 16:54

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


It is possible using Illustrator and using the photoshop effect built in illustrator.. please follow the following steps.

  1. place you image in your artboard.
  2. copy [CTRL+C] the placed image and past it exactly on the old on by pressing [CTRL+F] - now you have two images over each other.

  3. draw a circle over the desire spot.

  4. by the black arrow select the circle and the image that you have just pasted over the old one. and make a clipping mask by going to object>clipping mask>make or press [CTRL+7]

  5. now we are ready to make the effect to the circle which appear exactly on the old image spot. be careful not to move it. go to effect>blur>Gaussian blur and set a desire value preferable to be between 3 to 7

  6. after doing the effect group the circle with the old placed image by selecting them both and press [CRTL+G]

enter image description here

if you want to make the matte effect you can add another circle with a white color having 50% opacity and put over or under the mask circle.

enter image description here

that's it.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.