Meaning like this, where there's a fixed width, and every line is scaled maintaining its aspect ratio to meet the width - including scaling the height (unlike regular justified text).

There might be tweaks to the tracking and kerning, but they're not the core feature of the style, which is the changing text size:

enter image description here

Woah! While finding examples I just noticed we have an almost-identical question already:

enter image description here

What is the name for making words equal in length?

But those answers don't give a name for this style, they're just typographic terms, some of which may be used in creating this style, but none of which are this style.

Is there a name for this style, where the size (width and height) is adjusted to make each line equal in width and to bring out certain words?

It's not "justifying", because that doesn't involve changing the size of text, that only changes the letter spacing or occasionally width. It never changes the height. It's not "typesetting", which is setting type. 99% of the work of typesetters is not in this style.

  • 1
    I don't think there's a name specifically. They same way there's not really a specific name for using oversized quote marks in a callout.
    – Scott
    Feb 16, 2015 at 18:26
  • I quite like the term super-justified for it, but in practice I think justified is the most common description Feb 16, 2015 at 18:42
  • I have heard people call it "justified", and then people have got confused because they think they mean regular-justified when actually they mean this. Feb 16, 2015 at 18:47
  • 1
    While it is justified text, justification typically has nothing to do with scaling text so it's not a great term. The best I could fine in terms of anything semi-official is the term slab text as answered here: graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/a/46861/306
    – DA01
    Feb 16, 2015 at 19:27
  • 1
    As for the term 'justified' there are variations: 1) left-justified (only left side is aligned) 2) right-justified (only right side is aligned) and 3) justified or force-justified (both-sides aligned). Again, none of these terms refer to changing the size of type on a line-by-line basis.
    – DA01
    Feb 16, 2015 at 19:29

1 Answer 1


I'm going to go out on a limb and say slab-justified text.

This is a style that combines the two ideas of slab text and text justification, which are also the most commonly used (but potentially misleading) existing names. Rather than using a name that only covers half of the idea, let's combine them.

  • Like Justified text, this is a method of aligning text resulting in lines having equal widths. Just calling it "justified", however, invites confusion with conventional text justification, which only adjusts tracking or width (not text size or height), and is used very differently giving a very different aesthetic effect.
  • Like slab text, this uses text of different sizes to create a blocky aesthetic effect where the text is the eye-catching feature. Just calling it "slab text", however, does not specify equal widths, and may sound like a style of typeface (like slab serif) rather that a type of text alignment or arrangement.

Anyone familiar with either the history of the term "slab text" or the modern (mis-) use of "justified" will know what you mean. Anyone who isn't will imagine a slab of text with a blocky aesthetic where every line has equal length: which is pretty much what this is.

Crucially, it doesn't invite misunderstandings. It wouldn't leave someone confident they know what you mean when actually they're thinking of something else entirely.

It also gives the most relevant search results (including image search) of anything I've tried, including handy resources like this jQuery plugin.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.