Normally, this is what would you would see if you magnified older newspaper images printed in color. (check the background of the attached image)

What is this filter called? How can I recreate this filter in GIMP or Photoshop?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Halftone effects in Gimp come with quite some variety for adjusting to personal needs. From the Filters > Distorts > Newsprint... settings we can see that the resuting halftone image is better than the one posted in the question. Therefore we probably have to add additional filters. That's where creativity is asked, as there is not a prebuilt singular filter to do this.

Now this is how I tried to recreate the image above in Gimp:

  1. Add color noise (Filter > Noise > RGB Noise set to 0.20 for R, G, and B)
  2. Add halftone effect (Filter > Distorts > Newsprint) with the following settings:

    • Cell size 3
    • Separate to RGB
    • Diamond at angle 35,0 (channels locked)
    • Oversampling 8
  3. Add some blur (which might have come from down-scaling of the image in question)

    enter image description here
    Image source: Wikimedia


Photoshop Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone...

In Illustrator you can use the Photoshop Effects (in the Effects menu) for the same thing. There are third-party plug ins for Illustrator to apply halftone effects which work a bit better than the built in raster effect. Phantasm is a great one.

  • Thank you, I actually need to get this to work with GIMP, but Photoshop would be an alternative. GIMP has a Distorts > Newsprint effect, but the pattern is different.
    – imrek
    Feb 17, 2015 at 19:44
  • Sorry, I don't know Gimp.
    – Scott
    Feb 17, 2015 at 21:40
  • "the pattern is different" reads like you aren't aware of the adjustable settings of the newsprint filter in GIMP. What have you tried there to get this pattern? Feb 17, 2015 at 21:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.